Bayside City Council Tree Regulations

Before undertaking any major pruning works or removing a tree from your business property, you must adhere to Bayside City Council’s rules for tree works.

You will need to comply with these rules for tree works if you are living in Beaumaris, Black Rock, Brighton, Brighton East, Hampton, Hampton East or Sandringham. You may also be affected by these regulations if you live in Cheltenham or Highett as parts of these suburbs fall under Bayside City Council’s jurisdiction.

Common trees in Bayside City Council

The Moreton Bay Fig (Ficus Macrophylla) is one of the most common trees planted in this area. In addition, many home owners around Bayside still have gum trees in their backyards; as more and more developments and apartments pop-up in this area the need for stump removals and professional tree pruning have increased in order to respect tighter land boundaries and a growing property base.

Heritage/Protected Trees

Bayside City Council do not have “Heritage Protected” trees, the trees that would fall under this category are protected on the Significant Tree Register – the list can be found here.

Bayside Permit Downloads

CLICK HERE to apply for a permit on the Bayside City Council website.


City Of Bayside Tree Pruning And Removal Laws

A permit is required in the city of Bayside to either prune or remove a tree that:

Resides within the Bayside Vegetation Protection Overlay zone

Has a single or combined trunk circumference greater than 155cm measured 1 metre from ground level

Is listed on the Council’s Register of Significant Trees

Is a tree planted in accordance with the replacement planting condition of a Local Law Permit

Given that the trunks of Moreton Bay fig and gum trees can easily exceed this circumference, it is vital that you check before undertaking any action. The council register of significant trees can be checked here, whilst replacement planting conditions vary from permit to permit, it is best to get in touch with us.

Residents may be exempt from requiring a permit for tree works under the following conditions:

Tree is an immediate threat or risk of personal injury and/or property (an emergency)

Tree/s are listed on the Department of Primary Industries noxious weed list (this list can be found here)

Work is completed by a qualified Arborist (Cert. 3 or higher) that is competent to undertake the task to the Australian Standards (AS 4373-2007) Pruning of Amenity Trees. The Arborist must take before and after photos to certify their work – applies to pruning only.

Palms, Ferns and other non woody plants do not meet the definition of “tree” under Bayside councils local laws and therefore do not need a permit to remove or prune.

Violation of council regulations on tree pruning and removing can result in possible penalties such as fines, enforcement at VCAT, or prosecution through the Magistrates’ Court.

Neighbouring trees

Sometimes pruning or removal is required for trees that aren’t on your property. When a tree overhangs your property line you are still required to conform to council tree laws. Once you have a permit from the council or if the tree is below council regulation size, the tree is covered under Victoria property law.

This law means that you are within your rights to prune or cut anything that overhangs your boundary line, as long as you do not cause irreversible damage to the tree. You do not need your neighbour’s permission to do this, however, we recommend that you engage them along the way, in proper neighbourly spirit. For more detailed information regarding tree pruning and removal on neighbouring trees click here.

Need Help?

Permit applications and dealing with your local council can be a confusing and time consuming process. Lucky for you we have years of experience dealing with Bayside City Council and their arborist department. Any queries that you have related to submitting a permit application, or if you would prefer that we handle the permit process on your behalf (we would be happy to do so!),  simply fill in your details on our contact page and we’ll do the rest.